On February 22nd, developers from Epic Games held a Q&A session on Reddit. The “Ask Me Anything” event contained several interesting revelations about Fortnite’s upcoming Season 8. Here’s who participated:
- /u/EpEricSW – Eric Williamson – Design Lead
- /u/DanDaDaDanDan – Daniel Vogel – VP of Engineering
- /u/RZElive – Production
We’ve hand-picked the interesting answers from the AMA and listed them below.
Console Graphics Settings
“Could you add the option for all consoles (including Nintendo Switch) to lower graphic settings and removing things like motion blur and shadows?” – /u/ukairich420
We are adding an option to disable motion blur (off by default) in Season 8. Disabling shadows currently provides a gameplay benefit. This is not our intention and we are tweaking the way shadows are rendered to both brighten them and also make characters stand out better. This is going to be an ongoing effort starting with v8.0 and we will evaluate other options if this doesn’t end up working.
Season 8 Battle Pass Tiers
“If you complete 13 overtime challenges, you get the battle pass for free & it’s originally 950 vbucks, will we have the option to purchase the bundle if we want to? and will it be full priced if we’ve already earned the free pass. Thanks!” – /u/j5cob
Yes, the Season 8 Battle Bundle will be available at a discount for players who earn a Season 8 Battle Pass via the Overtime Challenges.
“Ranked.. when?” – /u/ByTKG
We believe the key pillars for competition are:
- Compete whenever you want
- Measure and communicate your skill
- Be challenged
Pop-up cups are a first small step in this direction, expect lots of iteration.
Game Sound Improvements
“Do you intend on improving the gameplay sound?” – /u/Zetroes
“In the last few weeks we’ve started reviewing our gameplay audio and found there’s a lot of room for improvement. Season 8’s update will contain:
- Improved Weapon firing sounds:
- All player weapon fire sounds are now 2D stereo, giving them a much fuller and natural sound.
- All 3rd person weapon sounds from other players are now mono and run through the new reverb, which gives much better point spatialization while still sounding ‘in the world’.
- There is now a global reverb available.
- We are setting it up as an ‘opt-in’ feature, so we will be adding the reverb to categories of sounds as we go.
- Currently, weapon related sounds are set up with reverb. In the future, we will be able to have different reverb settings for different areas of the map.
- ADS / Crouch Foley
- New sounds have been added for going into and out of ADS on each weapon, as well as sounds for going in and out of crouch. This gives a better sense of player ownership of actions.
- Improvements to upstairs / downstairs footsteps for better tactical awareness.
- Improved hit notification audio
- Improvements to sound and mix of 2D hit notifications when players land shots on enemies. This includes a new clearer “shield break” sound.
- Cleaned up the “weak-point” harvesting crit sound
- We increased the dynamic range and shortened the length of this sound; it is still clear but much less fatiguing.
- Fixed an issue preventing footsteps from being heard in some situations.
- Even more improvements coming later in Season 8!”
Displayed Ping vs. Actual Ping
“Why cant the Net UI display the actual ping?” – /u/omersho
“We have a lengthy technical blog coming up on the topic. The quick summary is that there are two measurements of latency worth considering.
There is internet latency and what we want the ping to display. This required some changes to our code to accurately factor out client and server frame times.
The other is client / server roundtrip that takes framerate into account and is a measure of latency of action to reaction. It gets complicated quickly as we are able to do some tricks to reduce this below that number for certain actions.”
“Will you been improving the late game fps in things like pop ups, scrims, and customs?” – /u/avstyns
“There are both short and long term efforts to improve server performance during late game competitive settings. Engineering efforts aside, we are also looking at upgrading the hardware used for this purpose.”
The Driftboard’s Fate
“Are you planning on keeping the drift board or will it just be a limited time thing?” – /u/SonOfGarry
“We’re working on a new single-occupancy vehicle and aren’t quite sure how they’ll play together. The Driftboard’s reception has been really positive though, so we’re actively discussing how long it should stick around.”
New Xbox Oceania Servers
“Any plans adding Asian (south East Asian ) server for Xbox?” – /u/adityaoza
“We are currently working through logistics.”
Double Shotgun Return?
“Is double shotgun ever going to be brought back?” – /u/Tubcat101
“We do not have any plans to bring back the double shotgun. The main issue is that the high damage of the weapon is balanced by its slow rate of fire, and bypassing that weakness makes it too powerful.”
“Will respawning enter the game? Perhaps more measures to cancel thirsting?” – /u/C4falcons
“We’ve been considering this mechanic for a while and have been exploring it. Want to make sure we give it the time it needs and fully understand its impact on the game as a whole. Look for further updates during Season 8.”
New Server Locations
“Any plans for new server regions ?” – /u/SweetRabbit
“We are working with various providers on finding a solution for MENA.”
Editors Note: MENA stands for Middle East and North Africa.