During the February 22nd AMA on Reddit, Epic developers confirmed that several major changes are coming to the game’s audio in Season 8.
Q: “Do you intend on improving the gameplay sound?” -Zetroes
A: In the last few weeks we’ve started reviewing our gameplay audio and found there’s a lot of room for improvement. Season 8’s update will contain:
- Improved Weapon firing sounds:
- All player weapon fire sounds are now 2D stereo, giving them a much fuller and natural sound.
- All 3rd person weapon sounds from other players are now mono and run through the new reverb, which gives much better point spatialization while still sounding ‘in the world’.
- There is now a global reverb available.
- We are setting it up as an ‘opt-in’ feature, so we will be adding the reverb to categories of sounds as we go.
- Currently, weapon related sounds are set up with reverb. In the future, we will be able to have different reverb settings for different areas of the map.
- ADS / Crouch Foley
- New sounds have been added for going into and out of ADS on each weapon, as well as sounds for going in and out of crouch. This gives a better sense of player ownership of actions.
- Improvements to upstairs / downstairs footsteps for better tactical awareness.
- Improved hit notification audio
- Improvements to sound and mix of 2D hit notifications when players land shots on enemies. This includes a new clearer “shield break” sound.
- Cleaned up the “weak-point” harvesting crit sound
- We increased the dynamic range and shortened the length of this sound; it is still clear but much less fatiguing.
- Fixed an issue preventing footsteps from being heard in some situations.
- Even more improvements coming later in Season 8!
Fortnite’s audio has been sufficient from season to season. Some players have stated that it is difficult to differentiate the vertical position of enemies.
Stay tuned to Fortnite Bunker as we live-blog today’s Reddit AMA. You can participate in the AMA and read the developer’s answers here.